An Open Letter to Bill Gates
Dear
Bill Gates,
President
of Microsoft Corporation
After
compliments,
I am a
Somali citizen Yousef Ali Jama, born in the city of Aden-
Yemen and resident in it since I was
born. I work as a teacher in a vocational training institute. I would like to
express my deep regret over the decision of the Primary court to divide
Microsoft Co. It is clear that the division of the company will severely
jeopardize this scientific and technological foundation, particularly in the
field of scientific research and inventions.
Therefore, I would like here to
con-firm my solidarity with you in the hope that this decision will be appealed
against at the Supreme Court. May God help you.
Mr. Bill
I have been trained on your program
Windows, and another group of related programs like Word, Excel, Access,
Internet Explorer. I was so amazed by this scientific achievement. What,
however, pains me is that this program on which I was trained was designed only
for Arabic.. and English. I enquired why shouldn’t there be also another
program designed for Somali and English languages. These two languages use the
same Latin letters. So I am considering to put before you some proposals and
opinions which I hope will contribute something to support your establishment.
I am summarizing these as follows:
1. There are
seventeen million Somalis spreading out in four states in the east of the
African Continent. They do not know any language other than Somali. If we
regard our era as the era of computers, I think that these people will be
deprived of the achievements of this era. Therefore, I propose to your company
that it manufactures MS Windows with its supplements of other programs in
English and Somali languages. I think it will not be faced with difficulty in this
as the language are written in Latin letters. in this way, your company will
have helped our people to catch the era of computers, while at the same time it
will provide for itself a large market for its products in the eastern part of
the African continent .
2. in 1992, the US
forces were sent to Somalia in operation called “Restore Hope”.) operation failed. Regardless of
opinion about its objectives, justifications and reasons, there is a point
unknown to the world. It is that our people are suffering from the world’s high
illiteracy rate. Our people are unable to understand what they are seeing in
this world of 2000. Among the most important reasons are the lack of any TV
Station. Therefore in Somalia until now 90% of our people have not seen any TV
program. So how can they understand what others do even for their benefit? The
US government should have better established a Somali language satellite TV
station based in London instead of sending its forces to Somalia. I hereby
propose to your Excellency that your company make this station as an investment
project.
3. I heard there is
a charitable society carrying your name and belongs to your company. I had
wished this society include the two following programs into its charitable
programs.
a) The world of
today is that of the Internet. We, Somalis are pressing that the society sets a
site on the Internet with the name of natural Somalia with all its five parts,
so that it becomes an archive for anything about Somalia and a forum for
exchange of ideas and discussions about our situation, concerns and problems,
along with a space for advertisements, etc. Your charitable society will manage
and develop this site and provide the necessary funding to run it.
b) Recently the
world has begun to be swept by a new phenomena called Internet Café shops, My
hope is that your charitable society would set up such cafés in the safe
territories of Somalia, particularly in the northern territory which is called
the Republic of Somaliland.
c)
Support of local authorities in Somaliland with groundwater
exploration and devices seawater desalination for the development of coastal
villages and solar cells for cheap and safe energy addition to the testing laboratories of
drinking water, lunch and medicines in order to ensure the import and use water,
lunch and drugs fit for human consumption, as well as devices to locate fish to
support local fishermen and finally testing laboratories and medical devices
treatment for patients with kidney failure, cancer and virus hepatitis and
support nursing schools and medical Colleges newly created
building institutes of vocational and technical training to find local labor is
able to project implementation and finally must support our country with
Mine detectors and teams inspection of the mine to clean up our
country of this dirty weapon as this weapon kills dozens in everyday of people
with the end of the war as well as sheep, camels and prevent people from
entering the vast areas because of the fear of this dirty mine and prevents
development in this area.
Yours,
Yousuf Ali Jama
Maala - Aden
Email: jamaweyne@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment